Friday, July 11, 2008

Doctor Appointments, ER visits & More Health Related News

Doesn't the title of this post just entice you to want to read this post right away? If so, you haven't spent enough time in doctor's offices or emergency rooms... Okay, I am just kidding, but I am typing today's post with a bit of frustration still looming in the emotional section of my brain.

Yesterday I went to see the nurse practitioner at 8:00 a.m. (this is Mary Lou typing, by the way). I made an appointment to hopefully find out what was causing me to feel run down and lightheaded the past 2 weeks (and no, I am not pregnant). I fasted, thinking I would most likely have labs drawn and figured they'd retest my cholesterol while they were at it.

About 15 minutes into my appointment (after taking vital signs and history), the nurse practitioner said she wanted to get a quick test of my hemoglobin. She said some of my symptoms sounded like a thyroid problem but I could also be anemic, so she wanted to check it out before she ran other tests. A finger poke and minute later I hear the technician say, "8.6" to her student. Normal hemoglobin for women is 12-16; I've had several patients receive blood transfusions when they drop near 8.0.

The nurse practitioner returned to the room and said she needed me to get to the ER quickly, but did not want me driving since I was so weak. Of course, since I wasn't feeling well I couldn't think of any phone #s and didn't have all of my #s programmed into my cell phone. So I wasn't able to get in touch with anyone to take me to the ER. Jason was on his way to Omaha for work, so he couldn't help me and I didn't want an ambulance bill. So the nurse practitioner offered to take me! She was so nice.

The only bad thing about the ride there was she had me convinced I was bleeding internally somewhere and would likely have an upper GI or lower GI done to determine where. She said I'd likely have a transfusion. By this time, my head was pounding. I thought for sure I was having a brain aneurysm.

To make a very long story short, I had IV fluids and several tests done at the ER (EKG, chest and abdomen x-rays, more blood work) and everything came back within normal limits except for my white blood cell count. It was elevated. So I am fighting some kind of infection or virus and just going to have to rest and wait to get over it. Oh yeah, and I am so glad I didn't eat anything after midnight. I never did get my cholesterol tested after all of that! Ha!

So that's what I have been doing. I slept all afternoon yesterday and have been resting today until Jason called me to let me know that Zachary's sitter found him covered with hives! So Jason brought Zachary home and I gave him some benedryl until I could get an app't with his pediatrician.

We were getting ready to walk out the door this afternoon when Zachary said, "Mom, I'm all better." I looked at his leg and the huge hive that was there was almost completely gone. The others on his arms and abdomen had disappeared. So I called the doctor's office, gave them an update and they also thought it would be alright to cancel the app't. Zachary hasn't complained of them at all and hasn't scratched them even once, so we are just going to keep a close eye on him.

Today was supposed to have been a half work day for me and then a trip to Children's Mercy for Zachary's follow up appointments with his rehab doctor and appointment to adjust his left leg brace. We have rescheduled the rehab appointment for August 8th and will have to have his leg brace adjusted next week. Please pray we get his brace adjusted correctly. It's a new one and he hasn't been able to wear it. It's been adjusted once since we received it, but leaves red marks in new places now. He has to wear the brace to prevent his left foot from dropping and to keep his knee from bending back too far when he walks. He is currently wearing his old brace, that he has outgrown, but it is working for now. I think Zachary is just as frustrated as we are, if not more, about this whole brace issue. The other day I watched him take his brace off, and heard him say, "stupid brace" as he tossed it down to the floor. Lord willing he won't have to wear the brace forever. Once his left leg/ankle muscles are strong enough to keep his toes up and knee in good alignment when he walks he won't need it.

Lexi and Jason are doing fine. They are like the majority of the population, healthy and happy. Zachary and I are definitely the 1%. It was confirmed yesterday when the doctor said 99% of the time the hemoglobin machine is correct....I think Zachary and I should start playing the lottery. Perhaps the 1% statistic will work in our favor one of these days...

No comments: