Monday, November 8, 2010

Longest time between posts...ooops

Well, it's kind of obvious we completely forgot we had a blog! A lot has happened since August 2009. Zachary finished 2nd grade. Lexi finished 1st grade. We had a very busy and fun summer. It was the first summer I (Mary Lou) haven't had to work the entire summer so the kids and I spent plenty of time at the water park and pools. Zachary learned how to swim this summer which was really cool! One day Lexi got a new pair of goggles and Zachary said he wanted a pair also. So he got a diver's mask, put his face in the water to look around and the next thing we knew he was floating, then swimming all over the place! Wish we had thought of a diver's mask sooner!

Jason and I got the opportunity to go on a mission trip to Guatemala over the summer. The kids stayed with Jason's folks in Iowa the week we were gone. It was an amazing experience, one I will never forget. We hit some bumps (literally, 3 foot wide speed bumps) along the way but the joy the children and men and women of Guatemala gave us was indescribable. The children were so loving, hugging and kissing us and asking for our autographs almost immediately after meeting us. We helped with a week long VBS, teaching 35-40 children each day. We had no idea how many children would attend, as the World Cup was also going on daily and the Guatemalans were almost glued to their television sets. I hope to return to Guatemala in the near future to either help with an orphanage our church is sponsoring or with a wheelchair ministry.

Our family went to the Omaha Zoo with some close friends of ours before school started. It was a beautiful morning but the afternoon got a bit warm. I think Zachary disliked the heat the most, as he got us through the zoo faster than our friends had ever been through it. :)

School started late August 2010 and the kids are enjoying 2nd (Lexi) and 3rd grade (Zachary).

As I type this update, Thanksgiving is a few weeks away. It's hard to believe how fast time flies when you have kids!

No comments: